Build #09: Rise, My Child, Riseee!

Today was a beautiful sunny weather here in Frankfurt. A good time to spend outdoor, and outdoor I did spend. A good 8 hours working on my layout.

Part 1: Foundation of germaN160 completed!
Finally, I have completed the standard modules for Segment B to D. These standard modules would be the final pieces, which connected Segment A end module to Segment E end module.

IMG_6819
Segment D

IMG_6820
Segment C, which is at the entrance to the balcony

IMG_6821
Segment B

I built Segment B and Segment D modules first and then positioned them. Then I measured the space between them. Normally, a standard module is 92cm long. But for Segment C standard module, it was 93cm long, 1cm longer. With these 3 modules, the layout is completed, at least for the bottom and most importantly the foundation. This would allow me to add additional tracks to complete at least a ring for the first run.

IMG_6823 IMG_6824 IMG_6825 IMG_6826

I made additional enhancements to the rest of the modules. For example, Segment E got permanent adjustable legs at the rear. Previously I used clamps to hold them in place. I would need to use a water level to make sure  the segment is level again.

IMG_6829 IMG_6834

And, also plywood sheet. I could now work on the track configurations at Segment E, which would be 6 tracks staging yard – 3 per direction. I am considering placing a programming track here. This programming track would not be joined to the other tracks. I am considering whether to upgrade my NCE PowerCab (due to old chipset version 1.1 and LCD problem) or a z21 white (comes with a Fleischmann starter set).


Part 2: Rising the Sub-roadbeds

Recall the tracks that I drew a few weeks ago. I have cut them according to their shapes – the so-called cookie cutter method. It turned quite good, I must say.

IMG_6836 IMG_6838 IMG_6839 IMG_6840 IMG_6841 IMG_6842

The risers were temporarily clamped together. These riser looked higher than initially planned. Optically it looked like the gradient was not very steep. Again, optical illusion tricks one. I have in fact worked out the rises and falls for each sub-roadbed.

riserpositions1

riserpositions2

As I have not glue or nail any risers, I could still adjust them once I have the tracks laid. That would be the ultimate test if a train especially a long train such as 8-cars ICE 3. I could couple other coaches and wagons to Kato P42 and do a stress test.

Here are some photos of the raised sub-roadbeds.

IMG_6844 IMG_6850 IMG_6851 IMG_6854 IMG_6855 IMG_6863 IMG_6864

These RDCs were my test cars. I do not plan to run them on my layout.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s